Thursday, December 4, 2008

Another Orphanage Day with Bonus Video

I was thinking last night about how the experience with Troy and Evan is different. It occurred to me that had Evan behaved as Troy did on day one, I would have been pretty freaked out. This time, I'm not bothered at all. I feel like I understand where Troy is at and how he'll go through the process of attachment. If anything, I'm just eager to get on with it. In any case, today was a chance for a second look.

We headed back to the orphanage at 9:30 but not before talking to Evan on the phone for about 15 minutes. He can almost hold a conversation now, and seems to be making noticeable strides in his verbal skill in just the 4 days since I talked to him.

Just like yesterday, Troy was fine with me holding him for the first 15 minutes but then he began to fuss. Of course a nanny whisked him away to soothe him but I'd had enough of that and requested that she sit nearby with Troy instead. This is when I brought out my secret weapon. Bribery. Cheerios. It seemed to break the ice, anyway, and Troy was quite happy hanging out with me for the next few hours. He's way to mobile to want to be held the whole time but he happily let me play with him, carry him around, and give him his bottle.

Here's a picture of us:

day-two.JPG

Here's a video of Troy showing his mobility...

Did I mention that I got a marriage proposal? This happened with Evan, too, when the Minister of Justice offered to marry me to his nanny. Today, one of the nannies offered her hand to me. These babies are serious chick magnets. Here's a picture of my possible future wife, with the true object of her desires:

nanny.JPG

4 comments:

  1. I had the same thing happen with the marriage proposal! Except, I think it was at the G&R.

    That's cool that you got to visit the orphanage twice - though, by now you're probably ready for the G&R. Troy is really cute - gotta love those puffy cheeks.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your post of that adorable boy of yours just made my day!! I was so happy to see that picture of Troy with his nanny...I don't know Mark, maybe you should consider that proposal; she's beautiful AND wonderful with children! That was Shane's fav nanny too, but she got appendicitis the 1st week of our 5 weeks of visiting and we didn't see her after her hospitalization. I LOVED her and was so worried for her. I'm so glad she's back. Troy's video is precious and he moves just like Finley with that fast army crawl over all terrains! Oh boy is he going to give Evan a run for his money!
    This math to verify my comments is getting harder and harder, btw;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for sharing your journey with us again. I'm curious as to how old Troy is versus how old Evan was when you went through this process with him?

    Also, I wonder if you're not underestimating the gravity to which these nannies are approaching you with their hand. You're probably not ... and I'm just speculating, of course ... but I would imagine that they see someone like you going through such lengths to commit your life to be a father and caretaker for such a child as a small shot at a dream life almost too good to be true.

    ReplyDelete
  4. He's adorable Mark! Can't wait to see you guys when you get back.

    I can see why the nanny doesn't want to leave him.

    ReplyDelete