Saturday, December 13, 2008

Sunday in Hanoi

Today was intended to be a bit less full but somehow it did not work out that way.

The night was a bit up and down. Troy started in the crib but eventually woke up and seemed unable to get back to sleep. I put him in the big bed and that did the trick, but he was restless and woke up a number of times.

Before lunch, Kyle (a dad in my group) and I went on a quest to find the pond in which you can see fragments of B-52 that was shot down in December 1972. I knew it was near the hotel but it took lots of twists and turns in back alleyways to get to the right area. En route, we passed a very "local" market. Here's an example of the kinds of treats for sale:

dog-meat.JPG

We eventually found the site with the help of some young locals who seemed perplexed as to why it would even be interesting. They say that Vietnam is a very young country and something like 80% of the population therefore has no recollection of the war. Here's a shot of the downed plane:

b52.JPG

Afterwards, I stopped at a bookstore and got a detailed map book of Vietnam - something impossible to find in the US. It shows where both Evan and Troy are from, where their orphanages were, and where their G&R's were. Evan was born in remote district and I had never seen it on a map before.

Lunch was a Pate Banh Mi ("Saigon Sub") from a street vendor. Wish my gut luck. Troy had a bottle and some cheerios. Here he is in one of Evan's old outfits, looking very much like Evan did at the same age. I can hardly tell them apart in this picture.

cheerios.JPG

While I was carrying Troy around to put him to sleep, I stopped by the very basic massage place across the street from the hotel. I figured I might get another foot massage tomorrow if the price was right (I had one for $6 in the old town). Well, something was not right. The full body massage was $30 (VERY high for Vietnam) and they seemed puzzled as to why anybody was asking for a foot massage at all. I persisted, and they quoted $20, but seemed very puzzled as to what I would do with the baby if I got one. Why could he just not sleep on my chest, like he did the other day? Go figure, this was definitely one of those places where they massage one leg, then the other leg, then the OTHER leg. No thank you.

This evening, after Troy's nap, we went to the market in the old town, but it was already shutting down so I got absolutely no shopping done. I explored the ex-pat West Lake area and had dinner of beef salad and deep fried soft shell crab at a decent but forgettable restaurant overlooking the lake. Troy did great sitting in the high chair (in Vietnam, they are literally nothing more than high chairs - no buckles or trays or anything).  All I can say is you know it's Christmas in Vietnam when they are pumping out Feliz Navidad and a hip-hop remix of "Do They Know it's Christmas" on the sound system.

Bedtime was rough. It was my fault for the late wanderings, during which Troy napped too much no doubt. Anyway, he was overstimulated and my usual trick of carrying him in the Ergo carrier after his bath and bottle only elicited unhappiness. So, we tried the crib. Troy absolutely raged for perhaps 5 minutes (even though I was there beside him), working himself into a fever and a full sweat. I kept talking to him and rubbing his belly and he calmed down, lay down, and was out in under 5 minutes. I've never seen a kid decompress that fast. Probably better to avoid the situation entirely but it was pretty amazing to witness.

Tomorrow is a big day... final USCIS interview and issue of Troy's visa. So, I'm off to bed.

No comments:

Post a Comment