Saturday, December 6, 2008

In Like Lion, Out Like a Lamb

Disclaimer: I keep writing "Evan" when I mean "Troy" so please forgive me if one slips through and just attribute it to parental-onset senility

In like a lion, out like a lamb. That's what they say about March, and Troy is a March baby. Though Evan's official birthday is April 7, that was really his abandonment date, and they estimated him to be 30 days old at that time...

Today was the G&R - Giving and Receiving - Ceremony. The Minister of Justice made an exception and hosted it on a Sunday, which is most unusual. The G&R was in Tam Ky, the capital of the Quang Nam province. I was up at 5 and out the door at 6:30. It was clear that the nannies adore the babies and definitely had a soft spot for Troy. The head nanny gave Troy a special gift, and I also received several letters (of well wishes, I assume, but that awaits translation). I have nothing but respect for what the nannies do. I think this picture gives you an idea:

nannygr.JPG

Troy protested handily when he was formally given to me. In like a lion:

handoff.JPG

He was on and off all day, obviously grieving for his nannies (which is healthy) but also having great moments and connections with me. He would spontaneously break down crying for up to an hour and then be as happy as could be:

onbed.JPG

He absolutely did not want to go down for a nap (though he slept in the van on the trip from the G&R), so I decided I might as well not coop myself up in the room. I already know Troy is not content to be holed up in a room or a crib and, frankly, neither am I. So, taking a page from the Good-Butler school of parenting, I took the shuttle to Hoi An on the very day of the G&R. Did I mention that the food I had there was good? I mean crazy-good. I could not stand the idea of room service.

It turned out to be a good decision. Troy slept nicely on the way there and happily banged on the table while I had a few snacks (and some awesome grilled beef in la-lot leaves at the restaurant I had been at yesterday). He did have a hard time in the boat tour, crying for 30 minutes, but all in all, wearing him (in the hip hammock) for 4 hours was exactly what he needed. I definitely drew a crowd and lots of irritating question about how much I "paid" for Troy, but that comes with the territory.  Lots of women wanted to hold him to but I flatly refused - it's a bad idea from an attachment standpoint.

We hung out this evening and I let Troy just play around on the bed. He is amazing. Despite small bouts of mourning for his nannies, he played happily.  I finally got a good look at Troy and he is going to be a solid kid...he's a complete rock and his muscle development is amazing. He also has rather dark skin compared to Evan's (shout out to Laurie - he'll be built a lot like Jackson, I think). The evening ended with a slathering of Elimite, to get rid of any scabies Troy might have (he had some suspicious bites, and I definitely do not want to bring scabies home). Troy took it much better than the other kids in the group and I think he thought he was getting a massage.

Troy is sleeping now. I put on some traditional Vietnamese lullabies I bought and gave him his last bottle. It was amazing to watch him slip into sleep. Out like a lamb.  I don't know about you, but I choke up when I look at him sleeping like this.

lamb.JPG

I feel very lucky today.

4 comments:

  1. I LOVE HIM!! And that last picture makes me teary-eyed too! It's funny that he's built like a little tank, just like Jackson, because the other day Travis and I sat down so I could show him Evan's hilarious video (talking about Troy) and we couldn't get over how similar Evan and Shane are! Shane is like a little Evan in terms of build for sure (long and super skinny), and even their personalities seem similar.
    I'm so glad you got to enjoy Hoi An a bit. It's my favorite town in Vietnam (along with Sapa), and the food from that region is amazing!
    You certainly are 1 very lucky Daddy! Congrats Mark! Troy is such a cutie.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so happy for you Mark! And for Troy- and for his pjs- so cozy warm.
    Jack was wearing the exact sweater at the G&R- they must have a few.
    Congratulations!
    Best wishes, Janice

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congratulations!! What a happy day. I am glad that Troy is doing so well. He is such a cutie!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Mark. What anothr great journey you have taken on. Troy seems like he will do wonderfully as soon as he detaches from the nannies and reattaches to you. With the love that you are provideing I'm sure that will happen in the next few weeks. What type of formula are you giving him? I assume it is different then what we have in the states. Did you bring over any american food for him to try? When will you ease that into his diet? How many more days before your departure now that the ceremony is over? Travel safe and I look forward in hearing all about Troy in the upcoming weeks. Love you!
    Katy

    ReplyDelete