Wednesday, December 3, 2008

Reflections

I had been meaning to write this post before departing, but there was too much to do.  I'm writing it on the plane en route to Danang.  By the time I post it, I'll have met Troy.

I've reflected on how adopting a second time is different from the first.  It's clear to me that I have a much better idea of what I am getting into and I think I'm much more aware of the significance of it all.  When I first meet Troy, I think the experience will be more profound.  With Evan, I was too wrapped up in the novelty of the experience and the many immediate questions I had - I had never changed a diaper or given a baby a bottle then, and I did not really understand what it means for a child to look at me as a parent.  Evan has taught me a lot.

Even the way I packed my bags was different (which, despite my "experience," are overweight for Vietnamese domestic flights).  For example, since I had a very clear idea of what I needed, I was able to think about selecting outfits that would be cute on Troy.  I've even developed strong brand preferences for certain diapers, bottles, and wipes.  This time, rather than being baffled by the choices available to me, I made a beeline for what I needed, in the scent I prefer.  You get the idea.

So, it's different this time around.

No comments:

Post a Comment