Thursday, December 11, 2008

Mekong

Wednesday was a day off, so I took a day trip to the Mekong river delta. I had visions of Troy's sensitive skin flaring into a horrible heat rash, but he was actually a real trooper all day long - pretty much stripped to his diaper most of the time. He behaved well on the 2 hour (each way) bus ride and won the affection of a good number of people in the travel group.

I can't say Troy will remember the many boat rides, seeing the snakes, visiting the honey farm, visiting the coconut candy factory, listening to local music, or the lunch of prawn curry and elephant ear fish. He probably won't remember the woman who offered me her daughter's hand in marriage and then, rebuffed, offered to sell me her granddaughter. I'm sure there was something lost in translation but the latter offer was a bit creepy. All in all, it was a worthwhile day, setting me back $15 plus the cost of lunch.

Here's Troy awake:

mekong-awake.JPG

... and asleep in his dorky-looking dad's arms (he spent about half the time doing this)

mekong-sleeping.JPG

Back in Saigon, I got a pizza for dinner and ate at the hotel.  I also attempted to give Troy a bath.  He HATES baths and shrieked the entire time, even though (or perhaps because) I got in the tub with him.

No comments:

Post a Comment