Tuesday, December 2, 2008

Saigon

Sure enough, I soon met my traveling companions, Kari and Kyle, from Oklahoma, and Victor and Jamie, from San Francisco. Kari and Kyle had had a rushed connection in San Francisco and there was some concern the luggage would not make it.

Our flight to Ho Chi Minh city was pretty uneventful. The best part was realizing that we were flying right over Troy's orphanage. I took a picture of the map from the plane (click to see full-sized)

flyover.JPG

I also wrote some blog posts on the plane that were lost when my computer's battery died. Sorry...I'll try to recreate them tomorrow.

Anyway, after a scary bit where it seemed 4 of my travel companions' bags were missing, the luggage was located and we were off to Saigon. We're staying tonight at the Park Royal, which is a nice hotel far from the city center and near the airport. This choice because we need to head back to the airport in the morning to fly to Danang...

One thing we learned today was that the Minister of Justice will be attending a conference on Friday and thus our G&R has been moved to Sunday. We'll therefore visit the orphanage tomorrow and Friday but not have full custody until Sunday. I hope this makes the adjustment easier for Troy because it will be stretched out in a way, but we'll see.

I spent the afternoon and evening roaming the city with Victor and Jamie (Kyle and Kari were beat after their 4 flights in a row). My first meal was some awesome Pho (pretty much the national dish), at Pho 2000 a legendary place that Bill Clinton visited.

pho.jpg

clintons.jpg

I also took care of some things I needed/wanted to do before T-Day. I got a Vietnamese phone SIM card, a haircut, and a massage, among other things. I'm somewhat jealous of the other couples who can simply hand their baby to their partner and get a massage or take a break every so often. I won't have that luxury - but, I'll get lots of one on one time with Troy instead.

In case you're wondering, news from the home front is that Evan is doing swimmingly without me. He's in good hands.

There is much more to say but the jet lag is hitting me hard. It's off to bed.

No comments:

Post a Comment